About OSNA

OSNA is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving a sense of community by sponsoring group activities and providing members with the information, tools and administrative support necessary to address important local issues.

You can contact us at StratfordNeighbors@gmail.com

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Red Alert! It’s a time for giving…. Not taking!

Lock up your doors, your cars and anything of value! If you worked for it; you purchased it; and you own it, it looks like they’ll steal it. Watch for a group (or groups) of kids in the neighborhood that don’t belong there.

I came home Monday night to find 2 Hispanic kids (I saw them clearly) coming out of my backyard and then the motion sensor light I installed went on, meaning they didn’t go into the yard they were coming out of it! Where they were coming from I don’t know- another yard or another street, it doesn’t matter. They shouldn’t have been in my backyard! When they saw me, they ran and met up with 6 -7 others who all ran up White Street and disappeared into the maze of backyards between Broad and Judson.

When police were summoned by me, my wife and the Griffins (White Street) they finally showed up about 15 minutes later. No sign of the kids even though I was following 2 of them I caught up to on East Broadway. I lost sight of them behind Colonial Plaza when I went to get the cops and let them know where they were.

This is on the heels of several robberies (totally unpublicized!) as well as the arrest of one person for trespassing on vacant property in the neighborhood!

Join me tonight, 12/3 at 7:00 pm, at the Crime Watch meeting at the Police station, 900 Longbrook, 2nd floor training room. Crime watch group or vigilantes- we need to start protecting or homes!


(Read more about the most recent break in at: http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_11121937 )

3 comments:

PCSperling said...

I am a resident of Holmes Street. A few weeks ago, my car was ransacked and my husband's MP3 player stolen. My husband had forgotten to lock the car and inadvertently left his IPOD in it.

It appears that this group of thieves is wandering through our neighborhoods at night and maybe even during the working hours of the day.

Make sure everything is locked and if you see something or somehone out of place, don't hesitate to call the police department. That's what our taxes pay for!

Tom Carten said...

Just a thought...

You might issue those cheap whistles we used to get from Dahl's in the Center (ok, so I'm showing my age) and other places like they used in the summer playground in Lordship School.

If someone sees anything untoward happening, they lean out the door and start blowing it. Anyone hears it, they start blowing theirs. The noise alone ought to make the perps realize there are a lot of people watching out for each other.

But you have to convince neighborhoods this is a valuable way to attack the problem, in addition to calling 911.

Noise, randomly, from all over the place is a scary thing, especially at night.

Tom Carten
formerly of lower California Street
currently in Wilkes-Barre PA

Anonymous said...

Hi,



My name is Jim Carten, I was born and raised early on California St., then the family moved to Lordship, Victoria Lawn. I just received this blog from a cousin and am shocked at the thefts and things going on down there. When I left to join the Navy in 1956, we always left the car keys in the ignition ( that way we wouldn’t lose ‘em), I never had a door key because the house was never locked.. Guess that is history now..



Jim Carten

St-Jean-Chrysostôme,

Québec, Canada